Rhubarb banana bread with a streusel topping is a sweet, yet tangy treat that is bound to be your new favorite way to bake with rhubarb and bananas.
This vegan banana bread with streusel is the perfect treat for sharing!
The rhubarb adds a tart twist on this classically sweet banana bread while the streusel adds an extra layer of crumbly sweetness that makes this quick bread stand out!
Rhubarb Banana Bread can be made with either fresh or frozen rhubarb- making this recipe perfect to enjoy throughout the year. The tangy rhubarb pairs beautifully with the sweet and fruity banana bread adding small bursts of tanginess that is mouthwatering.
The streusel topping helps balance the sourness of the added rhubarb by adding a sweet crumbly element that works perfect in this sweet bread.
Rhubarb Streusel Banana Bread is a perfect treat for picnics, or really any kind of traveling! It transports great and does not need to be refrigerated. Keep it wrapped up in some wax cloth to keep it moist and long lasting. (I linked to esty since it’s my favorite place to buy vegan wax cloths!)
If you do refrigerate the banana bread, it will last up to a week. It will last for about 3-4 days on your counter (depending on temperate of your house!)
I would personally be impressed if this bread lasts that long- my family has a difficult time not eating the whole thing the day I bake it! The way it makes the entire house smells is pure heaven!
The best part is that this rhubarb streusel banana bread is really easy to make.
If you are looking for a more traditional banana bread try this banana bread recipe! This sweet plant-based bread is the perfect breakfast treat!
Streusel Rhubarb Banana Bread
- 4 Large Ripe Bananas
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Sunflower or Another Neutral Oil*
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 2 tbs All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil*
- 1/2 cup Rhubarb
- Preheat Oven to 340 F or 171C
- Mash your bananas and add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Cream together then stir in 1 cup of rhubarb
- In another large bowl sift your flour and then add the rest of your dry ingredients
- Create a well in your dry ingredients bowl and pour in your banana mixture. Gently fold to mix- do not over stir*
- Combine your streusel ingredients in a small bowl
- Pour your banana bread batter into a loaf pan, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of rhubarb over the top, then sprinkle the streusel over that
- Bake for 70-80 minutes. It is done when it is golden brown on top and if you poke a clean toothpick/chopstick it will come out clean *If using frozen Rhubarb cook for 80 minutes
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a rating and let us know how it went!
Looking for more recipes?
Here’s the latest…
- Washed Flour Seitan
- Oyster Mushroom Bacon
- Fermented Brussels Sprouts
- Cultured Sunflower Cheese
- Matsutake Rice